- Our Doodles receive frozen fresh meat (kvv) all their lives. This is because fresh meat contains the bacteria that are necessary for a healthy intestinal flora, making them much less likely to suffer from infection. It reduces the risk of allergies, because it contains much less odor, color and flavorings. The puppies absorb much more nutrients and therefore have less faeces, are easier to clean and healthier. Also the amount of calcium and phosphorus is much better in fresh meat so that the puppies do not get any pain and can grow as nature intended! Our advice is therefore to feed fresh meat for at least the first 9 months. If you still want to feed kibble, keep in mind that kibble contains much more odor, color and flavorings. You may imagine that the kidneys are not made for these non-natural substances and that the kidneys have to work much more hours to filter these substances than is intended in nature. To get all the necessary vitamins, minerals and trace elements, you can add Hokamix to the meal daily.Also look at the table below from Voerwijzer.com for the differences between Fresh meat and chunks:
|Brok & Blikvoer||Vers vlees|
|Darmflora||Niet optimaal, doordat de voeding steriel is.||Rauw vlees bevat de nodige bacteriën voor een gezonde darmflora.|
|Gebit||Risico op tandsteen, doordat het zetmeel in de brok en slechte blikvoeding achterblijft op de tanden.||Wanneer er geen graan in de voeding zit is er minder kans op tandsteen.|
|Vieze geurtjes||Risico op vieze geurtjes, doordat de bewerking en sommige ingrediënten van brokken zorgen voor afvalstoffen. Ontgifting via huid en andere organen zorgt voor bv stinkende vacht en winderigheid.||Minder risico op vieze geurtjes, doordat er minder afvalstoffen zijn. Maar ook gezonde honden laten wel eens een windje.|
|Vacht||Door de afvalstoffen die ontstaan bij het eten van blikvoer of brok, kan de vacht wat dof worden of overmatige rui ontstaan.||Velen merken dat de vacht bij de overstap naar een compleet rauw menu mooier wordt.|
|Ontlasting||Omdat er een groot gedeelte niet wordt verteerd en doordat het niet een natuurlijke samenstelling is, worden de drollen vaak groot en slap.||Er is minder ontlasting, en deze is opraapbaar. Ook wordt er minder vaak gepoept.|
|Pup en groeien||Verhoogde kans op groeipijnen en botproblemen door te snel groeien en sommige puppybrokken bevatten teveel calcium.||Minder risico op groeipijnen, maar ook hier moet er gelet worden op de hoeveelheid calcium|
|Moeite||Weinig: brok/blik uitzoeken, kopen en elke dag twee keer voeren.||Bij kvv weinig: elke dag vlees ontdooien en 1 of 2 keer per dag voeren.|
|Voedselallergie||Voedselallergie is lastig op te lossen met brokvoeding.||Vaak goed op te lossen met eliminatiedieet.|
|Organen||Door de verhitting, de vele koolhydraten (brok) en de synthetische toevoegingen worden de organen meer belast.||Organen worden minimaal belast. Het minst belastend voor de organen is een voeding, zonder synthetische toevoegingen en biologische ingrediënten.|
|Anaalklieren||Verhoogd risico op anaalklierproblemen, doordat vaak de ontlasting te slap is om de anaalklieren te legen.||Weinig risico op anaalklier-problemen bij een goed menu. Doordat de ontlasting stevig is, worden de anaalklieren uitgedrukt.|
- Try to vary with the brands and tastes so that the food always remains interesting, but you certainly also keep alternating the protein sources and your doodle can continue to supplement different nutrients every time. Also supplement each variant with a teaspoon of hokamix herbs and occasionally salmon oil. Some dogs develop an allergy to the following products (skin irritation in the ears, groin and foot pads) our advice therefore: avoid chicken, beef, gluten, soy, corn. Search for: Wild animals, dear, duck, fish, rabbit, lamb, turkey, Goat, Pheasant, Goose, Pigeon, horse etc.
- If you still want to switch to chunks after 9 months, we recommend chunks without preservatives, odor, color and flavorings, no chicken and beef, and very important: without grains and gluten! We recommend Wolfsblut, Orijen, Acana, Happydog, Profine, Wolf, Renske, Platinum Lamb & Rice, Natural Health or Dog Lovers Gold.
- The puppies receive food 3 times a day for up to 7 months; with us it was at 8 a.m., at 1 p.m. and at 6 p.m. It is important that there is at least 4 hours between meals. Keep a close eye on the condition of your puppy! When you place your hands on the rib cage from above, you should feel the ribs “just on.” If these can be felt too well, you can give more food. If you have to put too much pressure to feel the ribs and you can feel a “chicken fillet” between the front legs / under the breast, then you have to give less food. Some puppies are more energetic and grow faster than others, so keep an eye on whether your puppy needs more or less. Castrated Doodle’s also often suffice for 75% of the daily amount.
- You divide the number of grams for a puppy over 3 meals per day. From the age of 7 months this may be divided into 2 meals per day. The table on the feed packaging are average quantities. Keep an eye on your dog!To give you an idea of the meat quantities, we will keep an overview of our Zinzi below. Zinzi is a lovely cuddly puppy and was born on August 14, 2017. Of course Zinzi can have a completely different metabolism or move much more than your own puppy, so keep an eye on your own puppy!This feeding schedule is from our Zinzi (42 cm and 11 kg) and can help you to give the right amount of food. 4 weeks: 25 grams of ground meat / fish with warm water and Mato (goat yogurt) + milk from mom 5 weeks: 2 x 25 grams of ground meat / fish with warm water and Mato (goat yogurt) + milk from mom 6 weeks: 3 x 33 grams of ground meat / fish with warm water and Mato (goat yogurt) + some milk from mom 7 weeks: 3 x 50 grams of ground meat / fish with warm water and Mato (goat yogurt) 8 weeks: 2.0 kg body weight / 20 cm height at the withers = 3 x 66 grams of ground meat / fish with warm water and Mato (goat yogurt) 10 weeks: 3.5 kg body weight / 24 cm height at the withers = 3 x 80 grams of meat / fish and Mato (goat yogurt) 14 weeks 5.5 kg body weight / 29 cm height at the withers = 3 x 90 grams of meat / fish and Mato (goat yogurt) 20 weeks 6.7 kg body weight / 35 cm withers = 3 x 120 grams of meat / fish and Mato (goat yogurt) 24 weeks 8.8 kg body weight / 39 cm withers = 3 x 120 grams of meat / fish and Mato (goat yogurt) 28 weeks 9.7 kg body weight / 40 cm withers = 2 x 180 grams of meat / fish and Mato (goat yogurt) 32 weeks to the present 10.5 kg body weight / 42 cm withers = 2 x 180 grams of meat / fish and Mato (goat yogurt)
- It is easy to place the meat from the freezer the night before in a plastic container and carry it to room temperature the next day. They love it!Our Doodles receive weekly multivitamin from 6 months for extra vitamins and minerals. We provide 8in1 Vitality ourselves, but multivitamin pills can be obtained from any veterinary surgeon and pet store. You can also occasionally give a piece of apple or some vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, in this way they get minerals, vitamin and fiber that they cannot get from meat. Occasionally a piece of sheep fat with seaweed is a super snack: webshop
- Going on holiday
If you go on holiday, frozen meat is not always easy to feed. Try to find a product from the same brand that is sustainable outside of refrigeration. Some brands have sausages or cans of meat or choose a good chunk: Nature Dog Food, Naturis, Canis Purus, Edgard Cooper etc
Deworming, Vaccicheck and Vaccinations
Since puppies will still eat everything they encounter on the street and can contain eggs and parasites, it is important to deworm the puppy on time. The pups are dewormed by us at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 weeks and may be dewormed by you at 16 weeks when you have picked up the pup. Worming is possible with Milbemax, Panacur (3 days, also works against Giardia) or Stronghold, which you can get from the vet (it works best to use these worming agents alternately to prevent resistance). If you do not deworm on time, your dog may also get diarrhea.After deworming at 16 weeks, you can deworm the puppy every month until he is 1 year old. After the first birthday it is sufficient to deworm your puppy once every 3 months in Northern European countries. In Southern European countries, deworming with Milbemax or Millpro is required every month. A big tip is to note a fixed day in your agenda for deworming, so you can’t forget it!
To be sure that your Doodle has sufficient protection against certain diseases, you can do a Vaccicheck. Vaccicheck is taking a drop of blood from the vet and having it checked with the VacciCheck antibody test for the amount of antibodies / antibodies present. See also the video above. If the check shows that your Doodle contributes sufficient antibodies, you do not need to inoculate and you prevent unnecessary burden on the immune system. As a result, there is much less chance of health problems that unnecessary vaccinations can entail. A vaccination is useless and cannot work if the Vaccicheck shows that there are still enough antibodies present. The vaccination is therefore of no use at all, but in the meantime the dog receives an unnecessary dose of vaccines.
A puppy receives the antibodies from the mother in the first 12 hours with the colostrum (breast milk). These maternal antibodies are also called maternal antibodies. Research has shown that puppies are protected by drinking this colostrum for 6 weeks but sometimes even for 20 weeks. In the case that you follow the regular vaccination schedule and give vaccinations at 6, 9 and 12 weeks then it may be that all three are useless and do not work because your puppy is protected by drinking colostrum for up to 20 weeks. It is also possible that it is good to stick to this vaccination schedule because your puppy is protected by colostrum for up to 6 weeks.If you have had to vaccinate, then it is smart to titrate again a month later to see if the vaccination is successful so that you can be sure that the puppy is well protected, so further puppy vaccinations are no longer necessary. We call this a control titer. With 1 vaccination at the right time, a dog can live for 7 years or there is a good chance of lifelong protection. By Vacchicheck it has already been established that a huge number of young dogs are (un) protected throughout the first year because the vaccinations have not started!
- Unfortunately you can only do a Vaccicheck on the B-cells. But for protection the T-cells also mus be activated to have full immunity protection. This is the reason that we vaccinate at 6 and 9 weeks, so that the T-cells of all viruses are activated. We then check at 12 weeks whether protection against all viruses is ‘on’ and vaccinate where necessary.
- If you have had to vaccinate, then it is smart to Vaccicheck again a month later to see if the vaccination is successful so that you can be sure that the puppy is well protected. We call this a control Vaccicheck. With 1 vaccination at the right time, a dog can live protected for several years. The vaccicheck has already pointed out that a huge number of young dogs are (un) protected throughout the first year because the vaccinations were not succesful!
- Some dog schools nowadays also require that your puppy has had the kennel cough vaccination, which is why we do this at 14 weeks.
We want to make sure all DoodleBabys receive are protected against: Distemper Virus (CDV / dog disease) & Parvo Virus (CPV-2) & Weil’s disease (Lepto L4) & Hepatitis (CAV-1-2 liver disease) & Kennelkuch / dog cough & Rabies
Age Virus Why 6 weeks Distemper Virus (CDV/dogdisease) & Parvo Virus (CPV-2) T-cel activation virus 9 weeks Lepto L4 & Hepatitis & Parvo & Distemper T-cel activation virus 12 weeks Rabiës vaccine & Vaccicheck Verplichting & controle B cellen 13 weeks Kennelkuch & if necessaryvaccinate against: Distemper / Hepatitis / Parvo B & T-cel activation
Proper worming is always important, but if you give the worming 2 weeks before the vaccination, this will improve your immune system after the vaccination. Indeed, it has been found that worm infections have an inhibitory effect on the immune system, which somewhat inhibits the build-up of immunity after vaccination.
Meanwhile, among others, the WSAVA, the KNMvD, the NVWA, the Dibevo and the Raad van Beheer have recognized the titer determination.You cannot titrate for Weil’s disease because this is a bacterial infection and not a virus. The rabies vaccination is required to cross the border. The first titer determination can be done from 6-7 weeks.The VacciCheck measures the 3 vaccines in the cocktail vaccination:If the values on the result of the VacciCheck are 0 or 1, then the vaccination can start and vaccination will take place.
What can I do if my Doodle has itching?
- Some young dog’s get some bumps, skin irritation or flakes and has not necessarily mean he has an allergy, the young skin will ’puber’ between 4 and 10 months” and then the skin becomes calm again.
- It can also be a possible allergy to beef or chicken proteins, which is often found in snacks and snacks. Try to reduce these or replace them with dried natural snacks from duck, lamb or horse. For Perfect and safe snacks click here.A deer antler or Nylabone with a tasty flavor is a great treat. By putting a teaspoon of Hokamix or Veendrenkstof on the food every day, you support the skin, coat and intestinal tract. As a result, the coat is often healthier and shinier within 2 weeks and the irritation and itching disappears!
- If there is no clear reason for itching, Petal Cleanse can really help your dog. You can order “Petal Cleanse” on the internet. Petal Cleanse neutralizes the substances to which you can react allergic (has won an award in England). )
- Also check what your Doodle has eaten or what it has been able to eat. Different vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts and plants can cause vomiting, diarrhea, itching / skin irritation.Also check your Doodle’s ears. If these are full of hair, clots, earwax and dirt, this can also become very inflamed and itchy. Once a month clean the ears with a cloth with Olive oil keeps the ears nice and clean! With woolen and curly fleece coats there can be so much hair in the ear canal that sometimes a tuft of hair has to be pulled out. Then pull 1 small tuft of hair from every ear every other day (never in 1 x everything) until the ear canal is slightly empty again.If the earwax is brown or black and Olive oil does not work, you can clean in between with Otoclean Drop 1/2 tube in the left ear and the other 1/2 in the right ear and rub it in well by massaging both ears.If the ears continue to irritate and a lot of dark earwax appears, it is smart to use Earsolv once every 3 weeks. This powder works extremely quickly against all ear infections and does its job after just 1 administration and rubbing.
- The chance is very small but if this also does not help, ask for Aurimic at your vet.If your Doodle is out of pieces, transfer it back to frozen meat (this only contains meat and no odor, color, flavoring or preservatives) and sprinkle a scoop of Hokamix over it twice a day (you can simply order this on the internet) . It takes at least 6 weeks for all substances to which your Doodle reacted allergic to be out of his / her system.Furthermore, fresh frozen meat makes the urine a bit more acidic and the bacteria that cause bladder infection more like a basic environment. If your Doodle nevertheless suffers from a bladder infection, give him or her a few days in the morning and in the evening 2 Granberry tablets through the meat (sprinkle powder from the capsule). Granberry capsules ensure that the bacteria cannot adhere to the bladder wall and can therefore be peeed out very easily. These are for sale at the drugstore.Make sure that the coat contains no tangles or felts, this can also cause itching. Make sure you have completely removed it and wash your Doodle afterwards so that the coat is also completely clean.Scalibor or Seresto is a very good tire that is protected against ticks and fleas. Before you take your puppy home, she has been treated with Vectra 3d. The TICKESS is a good product against ticks.Make sure you never give BRAVECTO to your dog. It is still sold by many vets, but several dogs around the world have been seriously ill or even die. Try to avoid as many chemicals or tablets as possible!If your doodle has fleas, go immediately wash her with green drift or apple cider vinegar where you first wet her, rub the vinegar or drift well and then let the bath fill up to her head with rinsing. Fleas cannot swim and leave her body immediately. Due to the vinegar, tangles also stay away longer and. Also hug all cushions, pillows, blankets and just as good vacuuming and spraying with anti flea spray: webshop
What to do in case of bad poop?
A healthy intestinal flora can solve a lot itself, give goat yogurt / low-fat cottage cheese every week to keep the probiotics on track. The yogurt / low-fat cottage cheese helps to restore the intestinal flora and the rice causes the process in the intestines to be slowed down a little so that they get the time to absorb the moisture from them, gradually making the stools firm. By maintaining overall resistance, the body is stronger to eliminate bacteria or small viruses. Add 1 tablespoon of Hokamix to the feed every week and give the 8 in 1 Vital multivitamin and beer yeast tablets.
Light / hard poo: 1 teaspoon of broken flax seeds and 1 tablespoon of olive oil through the food.
Upstack / object / ate something wrong: 1 teaspoon of broken flax seeds and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of pumpkin in the food.
Do not change food, the intestines of your Doodle are already stimulated by the diarrhea and will then get used to other food less well. It is best to divide the daily amount over a meal more (instead of 3 x 100 grams, you give 4x 75 grams). Also give a spoonful of yogurt or low-fat quark and a tablespoon of white cooked rice with the food. The yogurt / low-fat cottage cheese helps to restore the intestinal flora and the rice causes the process in the intestines to be slowed down a little so that they have time to absorb the moisture from them, so that the stools gradually become stronger again.To support the intestinal flora you can add 1 teaspoon of Sanofor Veendrenkstof to the food every day, they love it and ensure a healthy and shiny coat!Also check when your puppy is dewormed. If this is too long ago, she may be diarrhea as a result and you should be able to worm her right away. Make sure to deworm it again 2 weeks afterwards, to prevent the eggs from hatching off the eggs, which can then start laying eggs again. If the diarrhea does not go away, you can switch to a paste of boiled chicken fillet, white boiled rice and some yogurt. Chicken fillet is easily digestible and will be easier to absorb through the intestines.If you notice that your puppy alternately pours water-thin and then a little firmer, she is very cheerful and playful, does not look sick and just eats well, she is probably bothered by Giardya. This is a parasite that lives in the street and that pups will soon be bothered by, because they just try to eat a lot of the soil. This parasite disrupts the intestinal flora completely, but is very easy to combat. Give your puppy 3 days of Panacur, then wait 2 weeks and then give again 3 days of Panacur, then wait again 2 weeks and give again 3 days of Panacur. It is also best to thoroughly clean her toys, basket, place to sleep and the floor with soapy water (this Parasite cannot stand this). A course of antibiotics is not recommended! That should only be used if nothing else really helps. The antibiotics cure kills all bacteria in the intestines (including the good bacteria). Moreover, the immune system of puppies still needs to be built up and if a puppy often receives antibiotics, his immune system will become less strong.
Also check what your doodle has eaten or what it was able to eat. Different vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts and plants can cause vomiting, diarrhea, itching / skin irritation.ATTENTION: With long-haired breeds it is important that the “poepertje” is cut free, so that no faeces can get stuck and can accumulate and thus block new faeces. By keeping the scissors flat (not with the tip, but with the angle of the scissors), cut a few millimeters from the skin around the “poepertje”.
What should my Labradoodle not eat?
Vegetables: leek, onion, spinach, garlic (poisonous, can cause anemia), tomatoes and peppers (can cause heart rhythm disorder and cause itching and diarrhea), raw potato / kartoffeln, broccoli, mushrooms, chives. Fruit: grapes, currants, raisins, cherries, avocados, apple core (can form bluish acid), stone kernels (apricot, peaches). Seeds and Nuts: macadamia nuts, peanuts (hard to digest). The safest is not to give any nuts at all, they cause kidney problems and bladder dust. Furthermore, many dogs have a grain / bread allergy, they cannot stand pork (dogs can get Aujeszky’s disease), meat that is salty, chocolate and candy, horse poo when the horse is dewormed. Plants: fertilizers, hogweed, Christmas rose, arum, holly, aster, canopy, yew, ficus, autumn crocus, dieffenbachia, oleander, rhodondendron, sago, palm, foxglove, golden rain, wonder tree, delphinium, mistletoe, mushrooms, cocoa shells, azalea root, azalea root fig tree, crocus, blue rain, hydrangea, hyacinth, tulip, lily, aspidistra, salamonszegel, snowdrop, narcissus, amaryllis, clivia, agave, boxwood, buttercup, bittersweet, pineapple, capsicum, petunia, tobacco plant, black nightshade, orange tree lantern plant.
Other: large amounts of salt, large amounts of milk, too much liver sausage, coffee, rhubarb, too much cheese, ice cream, raw pork, alcohol, xylitol (chewing gum), shallow ditch water or standing water, tobacco, people toothpaste. If your doodle accidentally gets something from the above, give Norrit immediately (available at any drugstore). This medicine immediately binds to all waste and ensures that it leaves the body as quickly as possible.
Allergic reaction to the puppy The puppy period is generally perceived as more difficult by most people with a severe allergy to dogs and cats. This is because the pup is not yet completely free of nest odors (read poo and urine odors) even though you get them washed with Zwitsal baby shampoo home.
Often this problem is over when the puppy is toilet trained. Until then it is best to regularly rinse your puppy with lukewarm water. Some people really can only stand the adult labradoodle. That is because a puppy does not yet have an adult fur and does not have stable skin because it is growing so fast. In that case you can order “Petal Cleanse” on the internet. Petal Cleanse neutralizes the substances to which you can react allergically (has won an award in England). Apply this product every week on the fur of your puppy (really only works after 3 weeks). When the puppy is past the fur change phase, you will no longer have to use this. Sometimes people do not respond so much to their pups, but to the fragrances, colors and flavors in the food. In that case it is best to give frozen meat. If you suffer from asthma or house dust mite allergies in addition to your allergy to dogs, it is best to keep the coat of your puppy as short as possible so that less dust can remain in the coat.
Smoking and your puppy
- According to veterinarian Carmela Stamper of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), dogs get nicotine and other harmful substances from cigarette smoke by breathing them in, but also through their fur. “Just like small children, pets sit and play a lot on the floor,” says the vet. “There the harmful substances collect in dust, carpets, furniture, clothing, toys, walls and floor coverings. Animals breathe it in and get it on their fur. ”Then they lick themselves (and each other) clean. This gives them an extra load of nicotine, tar and other junk through their own fur. When you smoke, something like nicotine residue always ends up on your clothes, hair and hands. If you then take your dog on your lap and hug it, your pet will get harmful substances on its fur. And which Doodle does not like to lick at the hand of his owner? As a result, they are exposed to a higher level of harmful substances than compared to people. “During the care ritual with their tongue, they swallow the harmful substances, which means they come into contact with the toxic substances more often.”A study at the Department of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Glasgow showed earlier that the coat of dogs with smokers as owners contained more nicotine. Other studies have proven that passive smoking increases the risk of bronchitis, asthma and allergies. They are also more susceptible to all kinds of diseases, reduced endurance, inflammation of the throat and windpipe and they are more at risk for respiratory, cardiovascular, nasal and lung cancer.
Castration / sterilization
Australian Labradoodles that are not sold as breeding dogs must be neutered or sterilized for 18 months according to the rules of the ALAEU. This must be done to prevent irresponsible breeding, which will deteriorate the breed. We want to protect the breed!We recommend castrating around 13 months. Your Doodle will have used all the hormones with the growth and after that the body will be completely stable (dogs grow on average up to 330 days). In addition to the fact that we want to protect the breed, the castration also brings the necessary other benefits:- The character of your Doodle will be more balanced, because it is no longer driven by hormones. Just as with humans, hormones can significantly influence the character (think of dominance, boredom of other dogs, etc.)!- The bitches will not get warm and moody, nor will they become pregnant, which can really bother them. It has also been proven that castration provides more protection against uterine cancer and mammary gland tumors.- The males will also not be looking for loopy bitches, they do not want to define their territory and therefore do not want to pee against every pole. This makes the dog much calmer and so he doesn’t just cross the highway out of thin air or he doesn’t just get into a fight with other males for a bitchWe recommend a Laparoscopic procedure for females:Laparoscopic sterilization is a very sophisticated way of operating compared to the traditional way. Your Doodle is operated on in the abdomen with a small camera during laparoscopic sterilization. For this, only two small 1 cm holes are required to complete the laparoscopic sterilization. Because these wounds are so small, the wound has already been repaired in 1 day and your Doodle is therefore less affected by the operation. There is much less chance of irritation of the wound edges, so that better healing is possible. Due to the reduced pain and therefore a less deep anesthetic, dogs are back on their feet after a shorter period as if nothing had happened!
Do I need a dog insurance policy?
Most new puppy owners do not take out dog insurance with us. That is because our mums and dads have been thoroughly tested according to the rules of the ALAEU. The hips, elbows, knees, eyes and all kinds of DNA tests ensure that we give you the healthiest puppy possible!If you still want to take out a dog insurance policy, you can choose to set aside a monthly amount yourself or take out a dog insurance policy at OHRA. We are not insured with OHRA ourselves, but regularly hear good stories about it.